Friday, August 20, 2010

Goodies

Professional and otherwise!


Here's a few more pictures from the 6 month shoot we did while we were in Utah. Oh Jen Herem how happy I am you were able to fit us in!!





And here are a few randoms from lately...

There was a huge aquarium at a restaurant we ate at and Rocco looooved watching the fish!!
At the same restaurant Rocco tried his first lemon...
Playing on the bed with Dad
Playing with Devro. Maybe playing at Devro's describes it better...

Rocco's 7 months today! So an update on our little wallaby...
..Eating food 2 or 3 times a day now, and liking it way better! Hated it at first...but loves Squash and Pears
..Has his two bottom teeth...and they HURT when he bites your finger!
..Loves to talk! Had only been doing the "dadada" sound, but now does "mmmm" and "bbbbb" a little bit
..Still loooooves singing! I sing to him constantly, which is hilarious if you've ever heard me sing!
Whenever I try to think of the new things he's doing I go blank...so there's a few fun ones!

Okay all you momma's out there...HELP!!! I'm trying to figure out if I need to "sleep train" Rocco--or whatever you want to call it. I need advice, support, success stories!! I've tried to let him cry a little bit a few times, but I don't know if I'm doing it right? Ha. But seriously...do I just lay him down and let him cry till he falls asleep? And do I do it for his naps also? And if he wakes up in the middle of the night? And what if he's hungry? And what if he feels abandoned? And what if he's mad at me? (See the list goes on and on--which is why I need success stories/support!) Right now I rock or bounce him until he's asleep, but I know he's old enough to go to sleep on his own. So again, HELP! Oh, and if I do let him cry, what do I do about how wet his little face is from tears when I pick him up? That's absolutely unbearable!

Any advice would be appreciated :)

8 comments:

H and E said...

I love the pictures, he is so cute.
Ok Sleep training. I had to do it with Blakely so I will tell you what worked for me, but use your own discretion. I tried to do it at 4 months and it did no work, imagine hours of crying for two weeks. So at six months I tried again and sucess. What I do is feed her and rock her to sleep. Then I lay her in her crib. At first she would wake up and cry when I first laid her down. Now she just rolls over and goes to sleep. So the only way she was able to learn was to let her cry it out. So for three nights, no matter what I did not go in there till at least 5a.m. I slept downstairs because I can't handle it, but after three nights she was sleeping through the night. I don't do it for nap time but I am thinking after summer is over and schedules are more back to normal I will do it for nap time. Anyhoo that is what worked for me, it is not easy but it is worth it. Blakely used to wake up everyhour and had to sleep with me and now sleeps in her crib through the night, miracle!

Allison said...

Did he like the lemon?? Those teeth will hurt when he bites other things too.....

Chloe started sleeping through the night at 6-8ish weeks (can't remember exactly when it was) so I'm not sure if my advice will work for you. I spent the night on the couch with her and just held her and rocked her a little all night and didn't feed her. Thats all it took.

I hope it gets better for you! Going 7 months with out a solid nights sleep does not sound fun at all!!

Natalie said...

Love the pictures! Rocco is so cute!
I have no good advice on sleep training, didn't work for us till Maddix was a year old!
I really hope it works for you and goes smoothly! You will love when they sleep through the night!
But what I have heard is you just have to let them cry it out, it is terrible and heart breaking but that's the trick!
GOOD LUCK!

Scott and Chelsey said...

Wow he is the cutest little stud ever!!! Um and you are way too nice! Blakely has always been a good sleeper and we always just lay her down and she sleeps for 12 hours. But he is old enough to not need to eat so just let him cry! You have to! He will be an even happier baby and so will his mom!

Davis Valley Classic said...

He is so cute! Little boys are so fun, ha? When Grant was about 4 months I started letting him cry it out a bit in the crib. He learned that crib time was for sleeping. If you are feeding him well before bed, he should be able to make it through the night without food. I let Grant cry and it was so sad, but it was one week of hell and then it has been wonderful ever since. He doesn't cry for nap time anymore, he just lays down and goes to sleep. I think all babies are different though and you have to do what you as a mother feel is best for your baby. Good luck!

Paul, Kami and Henry said...

How adorable are those pictures? Rocco is to die for. I see so much of you in him.

When I put Henry down for his naps and bedtime I make sure that his belly is good and full so I don't have to worry about him being hungry. From about 4 months on, I would give him a little snuggle, kiss and leave the room. If the crying lasted a long time during the night I would go in and rub his back and give him a binkie. He soon realized he didn't need to eat and started sleeping longer.

It's so hard to hear them cry but don't worry if he does because he will forgive you in the morning! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

When Jack was about Rocco's age we started going through sleep battles because he just wanted to play. I would lay him down and he would cry for me to come back in. When I decided I'd had enough this is what we did: Bedtime routine consisted of binkie, blanket, and a book so he knew what was coming. I would lay him in his bed and leave the room. He'd cry... I would come back in after five minutes or so, give him his binkie and lay him down, and then repeat it until he would settle down by himself. The longest I ever let him cry was fifteen minutes and he put himself to sleep. I was worried about him feeling abandoned, etc. too... but I stuck with it. We did the same thing for naps and bed. When he woke up in the middle of the night I would give him his binkie, lay him back down, and rub his back for a minute. He did go through a phase where he would cry for me but not for Dustin... so you could try having Tyler start doing it and go from there. It seems like he went through phases where he was really easy to put down and other phases where it was harder. It seems like we were always trying to play catch up and figure out the new phase. :) Stick with it though and be consistent... it's worth it!

Try reading "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weisbluth. It has lots of options on how to do it and you can pick what you like. Good luck! (Sorry for the novel...)

Justin, Melanie, & Juliet said...

Well . . . I don't know if I should even be the one to give advice, but Juliet didn't sleep all the way through the night until 15 months, when I had completely finished weaning her. Then she really did. She had a hard time with the weaning because it took a couple months to do it. The sleep did get better before that when I let her cry it out for 2 hrs the first time and I started with the nap. She cried for 1 hr that night for bed, then the next day's nap took 3 hrs. Don't worry, it wasn't like I never went in there, but I would go about 20 minutes in between and then I would go in and wipe her tears and nose with a kleenex and tell her I loved her but it was time to go to sleep. She did a lot better after that. She wouldn't fight going to sleep for 2 hrs like she use to. I have come to find out some kids just really aren't great sleepers, not to say Rocco is or isn't. I agree with the comment that you ultimately need to follow what you feel is the right thing for your child, because we tried the cry it out thing at 6 or 7 months and it didn't work then, or maybe we weren't prepared to hold out very long with the crying. Juliet has determination like none other I have seen, so it took hours for her. Sorry so long and depressing :).